Why use washable nappies?
People who use washable cloth nappies for their baby usually have specific motivations for doing so; Sarah original founder of The Used Nappy Company has 3 great reasons:
1) kinder for your babies skin - disposable nappies are made of plastics, paper pulp and can contain up to 200 chemicals, whilst real nappies are mostly made of natural fabrics such as organic cotton, hemp or bamboo. Washable nappies are clearly a more natural choice for your baby and are gentler on babies’ delicate skin.
2) kinder on your pocket - especially important for all families at the moment. It is estimated that using disposable nappies on a baby from birth to age 2 1/2 costs almost £1000; washable nappies birth to potty kits cost between £50-£250 brand new. Even taking into account the extra cost of home laundering, this represents a considerable saving (an even better deal if you are able to reuse them on other babies). Buying second-hand through www.usednappies.co.uk means you can purchase nappies and wraps even cheaper than buying brand new, even better!
3) kinder for the environment - disposable nappies have a major impact on our planet's natural resources; each disposable made needs around a cup of crude oil for its plastic wrap and around 7 million trees are cut down every year to make disposable nappies. Using washable nappies has less impact on our planet (even taking into account home laundering), and reusing washable nappies means you can be doubly eco-friendly!
Did you know:
- Nearly 3 billion nappies are thrown away in the UK every year. The vast majority of these (90%) end up in landfill.
- Nearly 8 million nappies are thrown away every day in the UK.
- We do not know how long it takes for the plastics in disposable nappies to decompose but it could take hundreds of years - this means that every disposable nappy ever made is rotting in the ground (if it hasn't been incinerated).
Statistics provided by http://www.wen.org.uk/nappies/facts.htm
You can read our 8 reasons to choose cloth nappies on our blog.
Whatever your reason, enjoy using washables on your baby and enjoy all of the benefits listed above.